March 4, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team upset No. 38 DePaul (10-4), 5-2, Sunday at the Hawkeye and Tennis Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes improved to 5-3 this season, including 5-0 at home. Iowa is 11-2 all-time against the Blue Demons.
“I’m proud of the way we competed today,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We competed at a high level up and down the singles lineup. We knew we were able to compete at this level and beat goods teams. Today, we went out and did it.”
DePaul claimed the doubles point after winning two of three matches. Freshmen Ellen Silver and Katie Zordani picked up their team-high fifth dual win as pair. The tandem defeated Cali Gustafson and Carolin Neumann, 8-5, at the No. 3 position.
In singles, Silver quickly evened the score at one with a 6-1, 6-0 win at the No. 6 spot. Silver is 4-4 in dual play.
Senior Sonja Molnar gave the Hawkeyes the lead after she defeated No. 121 Jasmin Kling, 6-4, 7-5, at the top spot. Molnar, ranked No. 110 by the ITA, improved to 7-1 during dual play. It was Molnar’s first dual win against a nationally ranked opponent this season. The Guelph, Ontario, native went 3-2 against ranked opponents in 2011.
Freshman Morven McCulloch downed Gia McKnight 1-6, 6-0, 7-5 at the No. 3 position to give Iowa a 3-1 lead. McCulloch improved to 5-3 during dual play. Fellow freshman Shelby Talcott clinched the Hawkeye victory, as she defeated Patricia Fargas, 6-3, 6-4, at the No. 2 spot. Talcott is 4-3 in 2012.
Zordani rounded out Iowa’s singles victories with a 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6) win against Carolin Neumann at the No. 4 position. Zordani owns a 5-3 dual record and is 2-0 when playing at the No. 4 spot.
The Hawkeyes open Big Ten play next weekend. Iowa plays at No. 36 Nebraska on March 9 at 5 p.m. (CT) in Lincoln, Neb. The Hawkeyes will also face No. 30 Tulsa while they’re in Lincoln. Iowa will take on the Golden Hurricane on March 10 at 11 a.m. (CT).
Iowa (5-3) – 5
#38 DePaul (10-4) – 2
1. #110 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. #121 Jasmin Kling (DEPAUL), 6-4, 7-5
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Patricia Fargas (DEPAUL), 6-3, 6-4
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Gia McKnight (DEPAUL), 1-6, 6-0, 7-5
4. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Carolin Neumann (DEPAUL), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Kelsey Lawson (DEPAUL) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
6. Ellen Silver (IOWA) def. Cali Gustafson (DEPAUL), 6-1, 6-0
1. Jasmin Kling/Gia McKnight (DEPAUL) def. Morven McCulloch/Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 8-4
2. Patricia Fargas/Kelsey Lawson (DEPAUL) def. Christina Harazin/Sonja Molnar (IOWA), 8-5
3. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Cali Gustafson/Carolin Neumann (DEPAUL), 8-5