March 9, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
LINCOLN, Neb. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team lost, 6-1, to No. 32 Nebraska (13-1, 1-0 Big Ten) on Friday in its Big Ten opener at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Hawkeyes, ranked No. 58 by the ITA, fell to 5-4 this season.
“Nebraska is a good team and they raised their level at the right time in singles tonight,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We have another opportunity to play a good team tomorrow and need to play a complete, high-level match from start to finish.”
Iowa trailed 1-0 after Nebraska swept the doubles matches. Senior Sonja Molnar and freshman Shelby Talcott teamed at the No. 1 position for the first time since Feb. 19. The tandem came within two points (8-6) of Nebraska’s Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein, the No. 23 doubles duo in the country according to the ITA.
UI freshman Morven McCulloch earned the Hawkeyes only point of the match, as she fought back from a 6-0 first set loss to defeat Geibert, 0-6, 6-3, 6-4, at the No. 3 singles spot. McCulloch improved to 6-3 during dual play, including a 5-3 mark at the No. 3 position.
Fellow freshman Ellen Silver played a two hour first set against Maike Zeppernick at the No. 6 spot. Silver fell in the tiebreaker, 14-12. Zeppernick won the match, 7-6 (14-12), 7-5.
The Hawkeyes face No. 30 Tulsa (9-2) on Saturday at the Nebraska Tennis Center. Doubles action will begin at 11 a.m. (CT).
#32 Nebraska (13-1, 1-0) – 6
#58 Iowa (5-4, 0-1) – 1
1. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. #110 Sonja Molnar (Iowa), 7-5, 6-1
2. #55 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 6-0, 6-1
3. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU), 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 6-4, 6-4
5. #106 Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa), 6-3, 6-4
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 7-6 (14-12), 7-5
1. #23 Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Sonja Molnar/Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 8-6
2. Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Morven McCulloch/Christina Harazin (Iowa), 8-2
3. Jennifer Holmberg/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA), 8-4