April 8, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team lost, 6-1, to No. 34 Purdue (12-4, 4-3 Big Ten) on Sunday at the Schwartz Tennis Center. Iowa, ranked No. 72 by the ITA, owns a 7-11 dual record and a 1-6 Big Ten record.
The Hawkeyes faced a 1-0 deficit after Purdue swept the doubles point.
Iowa was never able to overcome the Boilermakers early lead, as Purdue won the first four singles matches to claim the victory.
UI freshman Morven McCulloch put the Hawkeyes on the board with a win at the No. 2 spot. McCulloch downed Lynda Xepolas, 7-6 (13-11), 6-4, while playing at the No. 2 position for the first time since Feb. 25 against Northern Iowa. She improved to 2-0 at the No. 2 spot and 9-9 in dual play.
Fellow freshman Shelby Talcott competed at the top spot for the first time this season. Talcott pushed Jennifer Rabot to three sets before falling, 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 1-0 (10-8). Talcott fell to 6-11 in dual play.
Iowa returns to Iowa City to host Michigan State and No. 15 Michigan next weekend. The Hawkeyes entertain the Spartans on April 13 at 5 p.m. (CT), before playing the Wolverines on April 15 at noon (CT). Iowa in 6-1 at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex this season. Admission is free.
#34 Purdue (12-4, 4-3) – 6
#72 Iowa (7-11, 1-6) – 1
1. Jennifer Rabot (PUR) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR), 7-6 (13-11), 6-4
3. Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-1, 6-2
4. Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA), 6-2, 6-1
5. Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-4, 6-1
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA), 6-1, 6-1
1. Jennifer Rabot/Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Sonja Molnar/Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 8-5
2. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Katie Zordani/Ellen Silver (IOWA), 8-5
3. Gisella Pere/Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Shelby Talcott/Ally Majercik (IOWA), 8-4