April 15, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa senior Sonja Molnar and freshman Shelby Talcott both upset nationally-ranked opponents Sunday during the women’s tennis team’s 5-2 loss against No. 14 Michigan (15-6, 8-1 Big Ten) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
“We can take a lot of positive things from today,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We got great wins from Sonja and Shelby. We are really looking forward to hosting Wisconsin for our Senior Day next Friday at noon.”
Molnar defeated 11th-ranked Emina Bektas at the top spot 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9), earning her fourth dual win of the season against a nationally-ranked opponent. Bektas is the highest-ranked dual opponent Molnar has beaten in her Hawkeye career. Molnar, ranked No. 103 by the ITA, owns a team-best 14-5 (5-3) dual record.
Molnar went 2-0 during the Hawkeyes two-match home stand against Michigan and Michigan State this weekend. The wins were the 97th and 98th of her Iowa career. The Guelph, Ontario native is now two wins away from joining Milica Veselnovic (113 career wins) and Laura Dvorak (102 wins) as the only Hawkeyes in program history to win 100 career singles matches. Iowa has two regular season matches remaining.
Talcott downed No. 75 Brooke Bolender, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4), at the No. 2 position. It was the first win of the season against a nationally-ranked opponent for Talcott. The Long Island, N.Y., native improved to 8-12 (3-7 Big Ten) in dual play.
The Wolverines scored the first point of the match by winning 3-0 in doubles. Senior Cassandra Escobar competed for the first time during dual play. Escobar teamed with fellow senior Ally Majercik at the No. 3 position. Escobar and Majercik were defeated by Sam Critser and Sarah Lee, 8-2. Sophomore Christina Harazin and freshman Katie Zordani were also paired for the time during dual play. The duo fell, 8-5, to Mimi Nguyen and Michelle Sulahian at the No. 2 spot.
The Hawkeyes (8-12, 2-7 Big Ten) close their home and Big Ten schedule next weekend. Iowa competes at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex for the final time this season April 20 against Wisconsin on Senior Day. Molnar, Majercik and Escobar will all play their final match at the HTRC. Action will begin at noon (CT). The Hawkeyes conclude Big Ten play at No. 31 Minnesota on April 22. The match will commence at noon (CT).
#14 Michigan (15-6, 8-1) – 5
Iowa (8-12, 2-7) – 2
1. #103 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. #11 Emina Bektas (UM), 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. #75 Brooke Bolender (UM), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Sarah Lee (UM) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 6-2, 6-0
4. #114 Mimi Nguyen (UM) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-0, 6-1
5. Sam Critser (UM) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-1, 6-3
6. Kristen Dodge (UM) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA), 6-1, 6-0
1. #6 Emina Bektas/Brooke Bolender (UM) def. Morven McCulloch/Sonja Molnar (IOWA), 8-2
2. Mimi Nguyen/Michelle Sulahian (UM) def. Christina Harazin/Katie Zordani (IOWA), 8-5
3. Sam Critser/Sarah Lee (UM) def. Cassandra Escobar/Ally Majercik (IOWA), 8-2