March 11, 2016
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone/iPad app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The No. 47 University of Iowa men’s tennis team dropped its Big Ten opener Friday evening to Nebraska, 4-3, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
The match started strong with Iowa grabbing the doubles point with a pair of 6-4 decisions. Sophomores Jake Jacoby and Lefteris Theodorou, ranked 78th in the nation went up against No. 66 Dusty and Toby Boyer at No. 1. The Hawkeyes gave the Boyer brothers their first loss of the season. Senior Dominic Patrick and sophomore Josh Silverstein won their match on court two against Andrew Dzulynsky and Bradford Zitsch.
In singles competition, Silverstein won big in the three spot, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. The win against Toby Boyer put Silverstein at 8-4 on the season.
Freshman Jonas Larsen also had a strong showing for Iowa tonight as he played just his second match at No. 4. The native of Denmark is 2-0 at four after a, 7-5, 7-5, win.
Jacoby saw his first loss at six go to Bradford Zitsch. The Husker beat the Hawkeye in three sets.
With the match even, 3-3, the deciding match came down to junior Robin Haden against Andrew Dzulynsky. After splitting the first two sets, Dzulynsky upended Haden in the third set, 6-3.
The Hawkeyes fall to 7-4 on the season after dropping its second consecutive 4-3 decision. Iowa begins a week long road trip on Sunday in Oklahoma against No. 5 Oklahoma State. Iowa will return home, March 27, against Minnesota.
NEBRASKA 4, #47 IOWA 3
1. Dusty Boyer (NEB) def. Dominic Patrick (UI): 6-1, 7-5
2. Marc Herrmann (NEB) def. Lefteris Theodorou (UI): 6-2, 6-1
3. Josh Silverstein (UI) def. Toby Boyer (NEB): 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
4. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Tomislav Antoljak (NEB): 7-5, 7-5
5. Andrew Dzulynsky (NEB) def. Robin Haden (UI): 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. Bradford Zitsch (NEB) def. Jake Jacoby (UI): 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5
1. #78 Jake Jacoby/Lefteris Theodorou (UI) def. #66 Dusty Boyer/Toby Boyer (NEB): 6-4
2. Dominic Patrick/Josh Silverstein (UI) def. Andrew Dzulynsky/Bradford Zitsch (NEB): 6-4
3. Nils Hallestrand/Robin Haden (UI) vs. Marc Herrmann/Scott Elsass (NEB): unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1