April 15, 2016
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone/iPad app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The 67th-ranked University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost to No. 59 Purdue, 4-1, outside on the Koltz Courts at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex Friday evening.
In singles action, freshman Jonas Larsen was the lone victor for the Hawkeyes. He defeated Mateus Silva on court four, 6-4, 6-3.
Theodorou dropped a three set heartbreak to No. 42 Gergely Madarasz. The native of Athens, Greece, picked up the first set but ultimately fell, 2-6, 7-5, 6-4.
After Theodorou’s loss on court one, Iowa left two matches unfinished. Silverstein and Jacoby were both leading in the third sets when they left the courts after Purdue (14-8, 3-5) clinched the match.
Tonight’s loss was the Hawkeyes’ fifth straight Big Ten setback to a ranked opponent.
Iowa (10-13, 1-7) will play their home finale on Sunday with a “Senior Day” doubleheader. Iowa will face No. 70 Indiana at noon and Chicago State at 5 p.m. Admission is free to the public.
#59 PURDUE 4, #67 IOWA 1
1. #42 Gergely Madarasz (PUR) def. Lefteris Theodorou (UI): 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Josh Silverstein (UI) vs. #83 Benjamin Ugarte (PUR): unfinished
3. Ricky Medinilla (PUR) def. Robin Haden (UI): 6-2, 6-2
4. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Mateus Silva (PUR): 6-4, 6-3
5. Dominik Sochurek (PUR) def. Dominic Patrick (UI): 6-4, 7-5
6. Jake Jacoby (UI) vs. Arthur Dobradin (PUR): unfinished
Order of finish: 3, 4, 5, 1
1. Benjamin Ugarte/Dominik Sochurek (PUR) def. Lefteris Theodorou/Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-4
2. Jonas Larsen/Nils Hallestrand (UI) vs. Gergely Madarasz/Ricky Medinilla (PUR): unfinished
3. Mateus Silva/Renan Hanayama (PUR) def. Dominic Patrick/Jake Jacoby (UI): 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1