IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa soccer team topped Missouri-Kansas City, 2-0, on the road Thursday night at Durwood Stadium. The Hawkeyes earned their third shutout and improved to 5-1-1 on the season.
Iowa took a 1-0 halftime lead off of a Roo own goal in the 16th minute of action. Captain Sarah Wheaton launched a free kick toward the UMKC goal which flew into the back of the net off the head of a leaping defender.
The Hawkeye defense held firm the rest of the way, as goalkeeper Monica Wilhelm recorded four saves off just 10 shots en route to the shutout. The Iowa defense allowed only two shots in the final 45 minutes.
A goal in the 81st minute by Iowa senior Riley Burns provided insurance and helped secure the victory.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH DAVE DIANNI
“Tonight our team was not as sharp as normal, but they were gritty from the start and got better as the game progressed. It’s always exciting to get a clean sheet defensively, and the chances we created in the second half were from adjustments made at halftime. We’ve been creating enough chances the last few games that I believe we are very close to opening up the scoresheet.”
- Iowa outshot Kansas City 29-10 on the night; the Hawkeyes have outshot opponents 76-15 in their last three contests and 130-50 this season.
- The Hawkeyes took 13 shots on goal compared to the Roos’ four, and also led in corner kicks on the day (8-2).
- Senior Riley Burns earned her first career goal as a Hawkeye on Thursday night; six Hawkeyes have combined for 13 scores this season.
- The Hawkeyes are undefeated in their last 26 games when scoring two goals or more; since the start of the 2018 season, Iowa has a record of 24-0-1 when scoring two goals or more.
- 90 TRACKER: Sarah Wheaton (six) and Rilee Fetty (six) played the entirety of Iowa’s match versus Kansas City. The duo are among the eight Hawkeye position players to have registered at least 90 minutes in a game so far this season. They include Sara Wheaton (five), Rielee Fetty (five), Samantha Cary (four), Addie Bundy (two), Olivia Hellweg, and Kenzie Roling.
The Hawkeyes return to Iowa City to host Southeast Missouri State at the Iowa Soccer Complex Sunday at 1 p.m. (CT). Admission is free. The game is streamed live on BTN Plus.