The University of Iowa rowing team is back on the road, traveling to Las Vegas for the Pac-12 Invite on April 9-10. Live streaming of the weekend’s regatta will be available through Facebook Live at https://www.facebook.com/LakeLasVegasRow/.
The weekend will begin with 2V4 heats at 11 a.m. 1V4 heats will follow at noon, then 2V8 at 1 p.m. and 1V8 at 2 p.m. Sunday’s schedule is set to mirror Saturday, while both are subject to change based on weather. All times are in Central Time (CT).
On Saturday, Iowa’s crews will compete in group C against #8 Washington, Washington State and Clemson. #4 Stanford, UCLA and Clemson will join the Hawkeyes in Sunday’s group C. All races within groupings on each day are finals.
BIG TEN HONORS
The Hawkeyes first varsity eight was named Big Ten Boat of the Week following its performance at the Ivy League-Big Ten Double Dual in Camden, New Jersey on March 26.
• The Hawkeyes’ 1V8 crew picked up its first win of the season by pulling away from Harvard in the second half of the course and finishing in 6:34.3 — more than four seconds in front of Harvard’s top boat.
• Iowa’s 1V8 included Ava Parris (coxswain), Mary Wright, Molly Rygh, Kasi McWhorter, Emma Dabinett, Abby Klosterman, Lisa Murphy, Hailey Mercuri and Emma Mask.
• The Hawkeyes’ 1V4 crew won Big Ten Boat of the Week after its Grand Final at the Sunshine State Invitational, finishing with a time of 7:20.66 – more than six seconds ahead of second-place Kansas State.
• Iowa’s 1V4 included Livvy Osgood, Jaecee Hall, Heidi Hines, Laura Bates and Cara Burns (coxswain).
ABOUT THE HAWKEYES
• The Hawkeyes’ varsity four and novice eight crews each picked up grand final victories in Sarasota at the Sunshine State Invitational.
• Iowa captured two victories in its first regatta of the championship season. The Hawkeyes’ 1V8 boat came in first after finishing four seconds prior to Harvard’s boat. The second victory occurred in the 2V4, with the Hawkeyes out-pacing Harvard by 28.8 seconds.
• The Hawkeyes are receiving votes for the second week in the latest national Pocock CRCA Poll.
• Iowa’s coaching staff includes associate head coach Megan Fitzpatrick, and assistant coaches Katie Thurstin and Lowell McNicholas.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
Fans can follow the Iowa rowing program on social media via Instagram (@iowa_rowing) and Facebook (iowawomensrowing) with live updates on Twitter (@iowarowing).
“The staff and I are very excited to get to race at the Pac-12 Invite this weekend. This will be another greattest for us as a program as we face some of the nation’s top teams in Las Vegas. The experience we are gaining each week is so valuable in our development as we get closer to championship season in May."Head Coach Jeff Garbutt