IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa field hockey team released the details of its 2023 schedule on Tuesday. The Hawkeyes’ 18-game slate will include nine games (eight regular season contests) at Grant Field.
– The Hawkeyes will play eight contests against teams that qualified for the 2022 NCAA Tournament (Wake Forest, North Carolina, Albany, Michigan, Northwestern, Louisville, Maryland and Penn State). North Carolina and Northwestern played in the national championship game last season.
– After hosting a scrimmage against Northwestern on Aug. 19 to open the season, the Hawkeyes will travel to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, to compete in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on August 25-26. Iowa will face Wake Forest and North Carolina on consecutive days.
– The Hawkeyes will play seven home games in a five-week, eight-game stretch. Iowa’s home opener will be on Sept. 8 against Central Michigan.
– Iowa’s Big Ten opener will take place on Sept. 22 at Michigan. The Hawkeyes also travel to Indiana, Maryland and Penn State in league play.
– The Hawkeyes will host Big Ten games against Ohio State, Michigan State, Northwestern and Rutgers at Grant Field.
– The 2023 Big Ten Tournament will be held in Ann Arbor, Michigan, from Nov. 2-5. NCAA Tournament First Round games will take place on Nov. 10, Second Round games on Nov. 12 and the NCAA Final Four and NCAA Championship Game will be contested in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, on Nov. 17 and Nov. 19.
The Hawkeyes return seven starters and 13 letterwinners, including second-team All-American Esme Gibson, from a team that finished 12-8 and advanced to the 21st Elite Eight in program history during the 2022 season.