Feb. 28, 2009
IOWA CITY, IA – – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team defeated 75th-ranked DePaul Saturday, 6-1, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. With the victory, the 59th-ranked Hawkeyes move to 6-1 on the season. Iowa has won four-straight matches and two-straight over ranked opponents.
“This was a very good win against a very good team,” said Head Coach Steve Houghton. “DePaul’s nine victories are a true indication of how good they are. This is our best win of the year.”
Iowa won two of three doubles matches to claim the point. The Hawkeyes have now won the doubles point in all seven of their matches this season and hold a combined record of 18-3. Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos continued their strong play at the No. 3 doubles position. The duo defeated Jose Moncada and Matija Palinic, 8-3, to stay undefeated in dual match play. At No. 2 doubles, Reinoud Haal and Greg Holm defeated Alasdair Graetz and Bartosz Jozwiak, 8-6, to clinch the doubles point for the Hawkeyes.
Iowa kept the momentum going into singles play, winning five of six singles matches. Senior Christian Bierich defeated Austin Doerner 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 1 position. McGeorge defeated Vanja Grgec at No. 5 singles, 7-6, 6-1. Holm also won 7-6, 6-1, defeating Matija Palinic at the No. 6 position. Haal and Vasos also claimed singles victories for the Hawkeyes. Haal defeated Ben Hartman 6-7, 6-0, 6-2, and Vasos defeated Jozwiak 7-5, 6-7, 16-14.
Iowa will face Northern Arizona March 13. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. (CST) in Phoenix, AZ.
#59 Iowa – 6
#75 DePaul – 1
1. Doerner/Hartman (DU) def. Bierich/Zotov (IOWA) 8-4
2. Haal/Holm (IOWA) def. Graetz/Jozwiak (DU) 8-6
3. McGeorge/Vasos (IOWA) def. Moncada/Palinic (DU) 8-3
1. Christian Bierich (IOWA) def. Austin Doerner (DU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jose Moncada (DU) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA) 7-5, 6-2
3. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. Ben Hartman (DU) 6-7, 6-0, 6-2
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Bartosz Jozwiak (DU) 7-5, 6-7, 16-14
5. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Vanja Grgec (DU) 7-6, 6-1
6. Greg Holm (IOWA) def. Matija Palinic (DU) 7-6, 6-1