Feb. 5, 2016
- Read the January issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone/iPad app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team dominated competition today against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (SIUE) and Western Michigan at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Iowa won their matches, 7-0, 6-1, respectively.
Sophomore Josh Silverstein led the charge for the Hawkeyes, finishing first and second in the No. 3 spot today.
In doubles, Silverstein paired up with senior Dominic Patrick. The duo split their matches today defeating SIUE, 6-4, and losing, 6-1, to Western Michigan.
Patrick won both of his singles matches , taking his match against Western Michigan into a third set.
“It was a good effort for Dom to lose that tight first set and then show mental toughness and come back and win, 6-1, 6-1,” said UI head coach Ross Wilson.
Sophomore Lefteris Theodorou also won both of his singles matches with a third set decision against Western Michigan. The Athens native remains undefeated on the season at, 5-0.
Sophomore Jake Jacoby took the court at the No. 6 spot, blanking SIUE, 6-0, 6-0, and winning 7,-5, 6-2, against Western Michigan.
“Daniel Loebel from Western Michigan was an interesting player. I had never played him in singles. He gave me no rhythm in the first set so it was close but once I got up a break in the second I handled it better,” said Jacoby.
“I had to figure his game out but at the moment I won the first set it seemed like a lot of us were starting to win sets so I could feel the momentum shifting.”
Theodorou and Jacoby played at No. 1 for Iowa doubles and won both of their matches.
Junior Robin Haden went up against Patrick Gaffigan of SIUE and Matt Hamilton of Western Michigan. Haden won, 2-6, 6-3, 10-2, and, 6-4, 6-2, respectively.
Classmate Nils Hallestrand joined Haden for a successful day in doubles, winning both of matches at the No. 3 position.
“Nils and Robin continue to play well and get off to good starts. They led us in the doubles and then Jake and Lefty finished up for us,” said Wilson.
Freshman Jonas Larsen split his singles matches today defeating SIUE, 6-4, 6-1, but losing in a tough match to Western Michigan, 7-5, 6-4.
“We were very mentally tough, played with good energy, and we showed discipline tonight. I was happy with that,” said Wilson.
The Hawkeyes, who have won three straight matches and improved to 4-1 on the season, return to action Feb. 14, at Middle Tennessee State.
#62 IOWA 7, SIU-EDWARDSVILLE 0
1. Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Tristan Houle (SIUE): 6-1, 6-1
2. Lefteris Theodorou (IOWA) def. Matthew Hutchinson (SIUE): 7-5, 7-6, (4)
3. Josh Silverstein (IOWA) def. Nico Kuehn (SIUE): 6-0, 6-2
4. Robin Haden (IOWA) def. Patrick Gaffigan (SIUE): 2-6, 6-3, 10-2
5. Jonas Larsen (IOWA) def. Jake Desse (SIUE): 6-4, 6-1
6. Jake Jacoby (IOWA) def. Mike Raymond (SIUE): 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 1, 5, 4, 2
1. Jake Jacoby/Lefteris Theodorou (IOWA) def. Patrick Gaffigan/Tristian Houle (SIUE): 6-3
2. Josh Silverstein/Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Matthew Hutchinson/Jack Desse (SIUE): 6-4
3. Nils Hallestrand/Robin Haden (IOWA) def. Nico Kuehn/ Dan Lineberry (SIUE): 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
#62 IOWA 6, WESTERN MICHIGAN 1
1. Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Jefta Kecic (WMU): 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Lefteris Theodorou (IOWA) def. Maik Steiner (WMU): 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
3. Josh Silverstein (IOWA) def. Matei Svietlicic (WMU): 6-1, 6-1
4. Robin Haden (IOWA) def. Matt Hamilton (WMU): 6-4, 6-2
5. Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Jonas Larsen (IOWA): 7-5, 6-4
6. Jake Jacoby (IOWA) def. Daniel Loebel (WMU): 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6, 2, 1
1. Lefteris Theodorou/Jake Jacoby (IOWA) def. Ruben Greiner/Daniel Loebel (WMU): 6-3
2. Maik Steiner/Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Josh Silverstein/Dominic Patrick (IOWA): 6-1
3. Nils Hallestrand/Robin Haden (IOWA) def. Billy Beckwith/Stephen Payne (WMU): 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1