WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana — The University of Iowa women’s tennis opened Day 1 of the Purdue Invite on Friday with five singles wins against Michigan State at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes got straight-set wins at the top two singles spots. No. 97 Alexa Noel beat Michigan State’s Mary Lewis, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 1 position, and Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell beat Samantha Memije, 6-1, 6-2, at the second spot. The win was the first of Noel’s collegiate career.
Iowa also got straight-set wins from Samantha Mannix and Danielle Bauers, and a three-set victory from Danielle Burich. Mannix defeated Ayshe Can, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 5 spot. Bauers beat Jennifer Timotin, 6-4, 6-4, and Burich battled for a nail-biting win against Nicole Stephens, 6-3, 5-7, 10-6.
The Hawkeyes opened the day winning one of three doubles matches. Alexa Noel and Samantha Mannix beat Maja Pietrowicz and Ayshe Can, 7-5, at the top spot. Van Heuvelen Treadwell and Mehra fell to Samantha Memije and Nicole Stephens, 6-4, at the No. 3 positions, while Samantha Gillas and Michelle Bacalla fell to Mary Lewis and Dagmar Zdrubecka, 6-0, at the second spot.
No team scores are being kept at the Purdue Invite.
“Another great opportunity for us to compete and start the season. We need to get back to work at doubles, that is something that has been glaring at the start of the season. I thought we had a good start in singles. That was really nice to see and important for us going forward. We saw a lot we can learn from and have another great match tomorrow against Purdue.”
Iowa plays Purdue on Saturday at 1 p.m. on Day 2 of the Purdue Invitational. Iowa will also compete against Michigan State again in doubles and in some singles.
NO TEAM SCORE
Jan. 29, 2021 | 8 a.m. | West Lafayette, Indiana | Schwartz Tennis Center
- #97 Alexa Noel (Iowa) def. Mary Lewis (MSU): 6-3, 6-2
- Elise Van Heuvelen Treadwell (Iowa)def. Samantha Memije (MSU): 6-1, 6-2
- Lauren Lemonds (MSU)def. Vipasha Mehra (Iowa): 6-0, 7-6
- Maja Pietrowicz (MSU) def. Michell Bacalla (Iowa): 6-3, 6-4
- Samantha Mannix (Iowa) def. Ayshe Can (MSU): 6-3, 6-2
- Danielle Burich (Iowa) def. Nicole Stephens (MSU): 6-3, 5-7,6-4
- Dagmar Zdrubecka (MSU) def. Samantha Gillas (Iowa): 7-5, 4-6, 10-8
- Danielle Bauers (Iowa) def. Jennifer Timotin (MSU): 6-2, 6-4
- Noel/Mannix (Iowa) def. Pietrowicz/Can (MSU): 7-5
- Lewis/Zdrubecka (MSU)def. Gillas/Bacalla (Iowa): 6-0
- Memije/Stephens (MSU) def. Van Heuvelen/Mehra (Iowa): 6-4