MADISON, Wisconsin — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team came out ready to compete on Day 1 of the Wisconsin Invite on Friday at Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin. The Hawkeyes ended the day with a combined six single wins and three doubles victories against Minnesota and Nebraska.
DAY 1 SINGLES
The Hawkeyes opened singles with No. 97 freshman Alexa Noel maintaining her undefeated record, securing a win against Minnesota’s Ekin Eretin, 6-1,6-0, at the No. 1 spot.
At No. 2, Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell rallied from one set down to defeat Rachel Hanford in a nail bitter, 6-7, 6-1, 6-4 at No. 2 singles. It was one of three three-set wins for Iowa. Samantha Gillas also rallied from one set down to earn her second win of the season, defeating Juliet Zhang, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5.
Samantha Mannix extended her winning streak to four matches, beating Zeyneb Sarioglan, 7-5, 6-4, at the No. 3 position. Michelle Bacalla earned her first singles win this season defeating River Hart in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 4.
Ashleigh Jacobs made her season debut and earned Iowa’s sixth singles win of the day, a three-set battle against Nebraska’s Emma Worley, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4.
DAY 1 DOUBLES
The Hawkeyes carried their doubles success from last weekend, winning three of four doubles matches. Noel and Mannix continued their winning success, beating Wisconsin’s Cai and Markham, 7-6 to earn their fourth straight win. Van Heuvelen and Gillas beat the Badgers’ Makarova and Stoica, 7-5, and Bauers and Jacobs teamed up for the first time this season to defeat Nebraska’s Kuckelman and Maovik, 6-3.
The Hawkeyes compete against Minnesota in doubles tomorrow starting at 1 p.m. (CT), followed by singles against Nebraska.
“Today was a good day, we are building momentum and making positive progress on the court. We got to keep that up over the next two days as we move closer to our Big Ten opener a week from today.”
NO TEAM SCORE
Feb. 5, 2021 | 10 a.m. | Madison, Wisconsin | Nielsen Tennis Stadium
SINGLES (10 a.m.)
- #97 Alexa Noel (IOWA) def. Ekin Ercetin (MINN), 6-1, 6-0
- Elise Van Heuvelen (IOWA) def. Rachel Hanford (MINN), 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
- Samantha Mannix (IOWA) def. Zeyneb Sarioglan (MINN), 7-5, 6-4
- Michell Bacalla (IOWA) def. River Hart (MINN), 6-4, 6-1
- Samantha Gillas (IOWA) def. Juliet Zhang (MINN), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Lucia de Santa Ana (MINN) def. Danielle Burich (IOWA), 6-2, 6-4
- Jessica Aragon (NEB) def. Danielle Bauers (IOWA): 6-4, 6-0
- Ashleigh Jacobs (IOWA) def. Emma Worley (NEB): 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
DOUBLES (1 p.m.)
- Noel/Mannix (IOWA) def. Cai/Markham (WIS): 7-6 (5)
- Van Heuvelen/Gillas (IOWA) def. Makarova/Stoica (WIS): 7-5
- Seah/Semenovski (WIS) def. Bacalla/Burich (IOWA): 7-5
- Bauers/Jacobs (IOWA) def. Kuckelman/Maovik (NEB): 6-3