MADISON, Wisconsin — University of Iowa freshman Alexa Noel improved to 5-0 with a straight-set win Saturday at the Wisconsin Invite. The win was one of Iowa’s four singles wins against Nebraska. The Hawkeyes also earned a win at No. 2 doubles against Minnesota.
Noel won in straight sets for the second time in as many days, defeating Nebraska’s Kristina Novak, 6-4, 6-1. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell, Samantha Gillas and Danielle Burich also earned win for Iowa at the No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 spots, respectively. All three won in straight sets. For van Heuvelen and Gillas, it was their second singles win of the weekend.
Van Heuvelen teamed with Samantha Gillas at No. 2 to earn Iowa’s lone doubles win, a 6-3 victory against Hart/Zhang of Minnesota.
“Today was another good day for us. It was good to compete. We were disappointed on a few courts in doubles and the sting of a few losses may actually be good for us and give us motivation to tighten things up tomorrow. It was a hard fought singles day. I was excited that we continue to compete and we’re hoping to finish strong tomorrow in Day 3.”
The Hawkeyes wrap competition at the Wisconsin Invite on Sunday starting at 12 p.m.
NO TEAM SCORE
Feb. 6, 2021 | 1 p.m. | Madison, Wisconsin | Nielsen Tennis Stadium
1. #97 Alexa Noel (IOWA) def. Kristina Novak (NEB), 6-4, 6-1
2. Elise Van Heuvelen (IOWA) def. Isabel Adrover Gallego (NEB), 6-4, 6-3
3. Maja Makoric (NEB) def. Samantha Mannix (IOWA), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Michell Bacalla (IOWA), 6-4, 6-3
5. Samantha Gillas (IOWA) def. Vivien Sandberg (NEB), 6-1, 6-2
6. Danielle Burich (IOWA) def. Jessica Aragon (NEB), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
7. Emma Worley (NEB) def. Danielle Bauers (IOWA), 6-4, 6-4
8. Nastasya Semenovski (WIS) def. Ashleigh Jacobs (IOWA), 6-3, 6-2
1. Ercetin/Hanford (MINN) def. Noel/Mannix (IOWA), 6-3
2. Van Heuvelen/Gillas (IOWA) def. Hart/Zhang (MINN), 6-3
3. Sarioglan/de Santa Ana (MINN) def. Bauers/Jacobs (IOWA), 7-5
4. Makoric/Aragon (NEB)def. Bacalla/Burich (IOWA), 6-4