MADISON, Wisconsin — University of Iowa freshman Alexa Noel improved to 6-0 with a straight-set win Sunday at the Wisconsin Invite. The win was one of Iowa’s three singles wins against Wisconsin. The Hawkeyes also earned a win at No. 1 doubles against Nebraska.
Noel won in straight sets for the third time in as many days, defeating Wisconsin’s Xinyu Cai, 6-4, 6-1. Michelle Bacalla and Samantha Gillas also earned wins for Iowa at the No. 3 and No. 4 spots. Bacalla won in a nail bitter against Anna Makarova, 7-6, 5-7, 6-2. Gillas came back after losing the first set, 6-2, rebounding to win the last two sets, 6-3 and 7-5 against Jordana Ossa.
Noel and Samantha Mannix earned Iowa’s lone doubles win. The 6-3 victory was against Novak/Haakenstad of Nebraska at the No. 1 spot.
“Today was a great final day at Wisconsin and conclusion of the preseason part of our season. We got a lot out of the last couple weekends, and everyone is excited to get to the home opener on Friday at home against Illinois. We gained confidence and experience and are looking forward to Big Ten play.”
The Hawkeyes open the Big Ten season hosting Illinois on Feb. 12 at 3 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
NO TEAM SCORE
Feb. 7, 2021 | 12 p.m. | Madison, Wisconsin | Nielsen Tennis Stadium
- #97 Alexa Noel (IOWA) def. Xinyu Cai (W): 6-3, 6-4
- Antonela Stoica (W) def. Samantha Mannix (IOWA): 6-2, 6-4
- Michelle Bacalla (IOWA) def. Anna Makarova (W): 7-6, 5-7, 6-2
- Samantha Gillas (IOWA) def. Jordana Ossa (W): 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
- Nastasya Semonovski (W) def. Danielle Burich (IOWA): 6-2, 6-2
- Charmaine Seah (W) def. Danielle Bauers (IOWA), 6-1, 6-4
- Noel/Mannix (IOWA) def. Novak/Haakenstad (NEB): 6-3
- Gallego/Reifeis (NEB) def. Burich/Gillas (IOWA): 6-1
- Sandberg/Makovic (NEB) def. Bacalla/Jacobs (IOWA): 6-4