Minneapolis, Minnesota – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team improved to 3-1 on the season with a 5-2 win at Minnesota on Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center.
The Hawkeyes opened doubles dropping the first match but battled back with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 to win the overall point. The dynamic duo of Alexa Noel and Samantha Mannix earned a 6-2 win over Minnesota’s Ekin Ercetin and Rachel Hanford in the No. 1 spot. Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell and Samantha Gillas sealed the doubles point after defeating Dalila Said and Lucia De Santa Ana, 7-5, at the No. 2 position.
Noel improved to 10-0 in singles with a straight-set win over Dalila Said, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 1 spot. Van Heuvelen Treadwell followed in the No. 2 spot, capturing her second win of the weekend with a win over Rachel Hanford, 6-3, 6-3.
Minnesota battled back with three-set wins at No. 3 and No. 4. Samantha Mannix fell to Ekin Ercetin 6-1, 4-6, 6-3, at No. 3, and Michelle Bacalla battled back to force a third set before falling to Lucia De Santa Ana in the No. 4 spot, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.
Samantha Gillas clinched the Hawkeye with three-set win over River Hart in the No. 6 position, 7-5, 4-6, 7-5. Vipasha Mehra closed the match with her first win of the season, beating Juliet Zhang 7-5, 3-6, 6-1 in the No. 5 spot.
“Today was a hard-fought match against a good team. I am super proud of the girls for battling. It was great to get the doubles point today, but we still had a dog fight in singles. I am happy for the way we responded in some moments. We still have room to improve, but being 2-0 after a tough Big Ten road weekend in something we can feel good about and gain some confidence. We are looking forward to coming home and having a homestand for the next two weeks.”
The Hawkeyes host Indiana on Friday, Feb. 26 at 3 p.m. (CT) at the Hawkeye Recreation and Tennis Complex.
Iowa 5, Minnesota 2
Feb. 21, 2021 | 11 a.m. | Minneapolis, Minnesota | Baseline Tennis Center
- #97 Alexa Noel (IA) def. Dalila Said (MINN): 6-0, 6-1
- Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell (IA) def. Rachel Hanford (MINN): 6-3, 6-3
- Ekin Ercetin (MINN) def. Samantha Mannix (IA): 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
- Lucia De Santa Ana (MINN) def. Michelle Bacalla (IA): 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
- Vipasha Mehra (IA) def. Juliet Zhang (MINN): 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
- Samantha Gillas(IA) def. River Hart (MINN): 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
- Noel/Mannix (IA) def. Ercetin/Handord (MINN): 6-2
- Van Heuvelen /Gillas (IA) def. Said/De Santa Ana (MINN): 7-5
- Zhang/Hart (MINN) def. Bauers/Burich (IA): 6-0
Order of Finish: Doubles: (3,1,2); Singles: (1,2,3,6,4,5)