The University of Iowa women’s golf team heads to the desert for the Westbrook Spring Invitational from Feb. 27-28. The 54-hole event will be held at the Westbrook Village Golf Club-Vistas Course (par 72, 6,230 yards) in Peoria, Arizona, with 36 holes being contested on Sunday and 18 on Tuesday.
Fans can follow the tournament via live scoring at www.Golfstat.com.
The Hawkeyes’ lineup will consist of freshman Paula Miranda, senior Manuela Lizarazu, junior Morgan Goldstein and junior Lea Zeitler. Senior Dana Lerner and Junior Jacque Galloway will be competing individually.
The Westbrook Invitational event will consist of a 14-team field, including College of Charleston, Denver,
Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State,
Oklahoma, UNLV, Washington State and Wisconsin
Located between 83rd Ave. and 91st Ave. on Union Hills the Vistas was purchased by the members from the original developers of the community in 1994. Designed by the renowned Ken Cavanaugh to be an exciting but inviting course for all skill levels. The classic par 72 has everything you could ever want in a golf course from desert transition areas, guarded greens, water shots to its risk-reward drivable par 4.
• Freshman Paula Miranda led the Hawkeyes at the Tulane Classic, finishing tied for 30th overall with a 234 total.
• Sophomore Klara Wildhaber posted her first career match play victory, besting Indiana’s Mary Parsons, 3UP to help lead the Hawkeyes to team win in Big Ten Match Play competition on Jan. 31.
• Iowa finished ahead of fellow Big Ten foe Rutgers, who tied for 14th, at the Tulane Classic and was three shots back of Nebraska, who placed 11th with a 949.
MIRANDA CONTINUES TO PACE TEAM
Freshman Paula Miranda had a strong fall season, posting a team-best 73.67 scoring average over four fall tournaments. She has a 74.53 scoring average over 15 rounds this season. The Mexico native posted one top 10 and two top 20 finishes, including a runner-up showing at the Ron Moore Women’s Intercollegiate.
• She posted a score of 212 (-4) at the Ron Moore, finishing at or below par in each of her three rounds. The 212 total ranks second in school history and the final round 68 is sixth-best all-time.
• Miranda fired a season-low round of 67 at the Badger Invitational in the second event of the fall. The score is tied for the second-lowest round in school history.
• Miranda also tied for 12th at the Women’s Amateur Latin America Championships with a 72-hole score of 296.
EL TIGRE CANCELLED
Iowa’s Hawkeye El Tigre Invitational, which was to be held in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, on March 19-21 has been cancelled due to on-going precautions with the COVID-19 pandemic. In its place, the Hawkeyes will travel to Tennessee for the Chattanooga Classic on March 27-29.
The Hawkeyes will travel to Chattanooga, Tennessee, for the Chattanooga Classic, hosted by the University Tennessee at Chattanooga from March 27-29.