IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No. 4 Ohio State, 6-1, on Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.
Senior Samantha Gillas and freshman Marisa Schmidt won their doubles match at No. 2, bouncing Allen/Marzal by the score of 6-3. The duo of senior Samantha Mannix and sophomore Vipasha Mehra led 5-2 on court one, but Ohio State’s Siemers/Ratliff fought back, winning the final five points to secure the doubles point after teammates Jones/Boulais won on court three.
Mannix scored the lone point for the Hawkeyes, topping No. 43 Sydni Ratliff, 7-6(9), 2-6, 10-6 at No. 3.
Iowa dropped three singles matches in three sets. Schmidt fell in a close match to fourth-ranked Irina Cantos Siemers (6-4, 5-7, 10-3) at No. 1. Senior Michelle Bacalla was edged by 19th-ranked Isabelle Boulais on court two (6-4, 0-6, 1-6), while freshman Barbora Pokorna lost by a narrow margin to Kolie Allen (5-7, 6-4, 10-5).
Gillas and Mehra both fell in straight sets on courts five and six, respectively.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“Ohio State is a great team and having a great season. We knew it would be a test today and I wanted us to be able to compete hard and put ourselves in situations to win matches, and for the most part we did that. We definitely had opportunities, and I think where we are right now is just fighting through confidence to play well when we have the opportunity to close out matches.”
The Hawkeyes continue Big Ten play on Sunday when they host Penn State at 11 a.m. (CT). Admission is free to the public.
#4Ohio State 6, Iowa 1
1. #4 Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) def. Marisa Schmidt (UI): 6-4, 5-7, 10-3
2. #19 Isabelle Boulais (OSU) def. Michelle Bacalla (UI): 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
3. Samantha Mannix (UI) def. #43 Sydni Ratliff (OSU): 7-6(9), 2-6, 10-6
4. Kolie Allen (OSU) def. Barbora Pokorna (UI): 5-7, 6-4, 10-5
5. Shelly Bereznyak (OSU) def. Samantha Gillis (UI): 6-1, 6-2
6. Lucia Marzal (OSU) def. Vipasha Mehra (UI): 6-4, 6-3
1. Cantos/Ratliff (OSU) def. Mannix/Mehra (UI): 7-5
2. Gillas/Schmidt (UI) def. Allen/Marzal (OSU): 6-3
3. Jones/Boulais (OSU) def. Bacalla/Pokorna (UI): 6-1
Order of Finish: Singles (5,6,2,1,4,3) Doubles (3,2,1)