IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa, in conjunction with the Big Ten Conference, announced its 2022-23 women’s basketball schedule on Wednesday.
The defending Big Ten Champions will play five league teams twice and eight teams once. The Hawkeyes play home/away matchups against Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State and Wisconsin. Iowa hosts Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern and Rutgers in Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and travels to Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State.
The Hawkeyes posted a 14-4 Big Ten regular season mark in 2022, winning the Big Ten Tournament and earning a share of the conference regular season championship. Iowa finished the 2021-22 campaign 24-8 overall and advanced to the NCAA Second Round.
Iowa returns 11 letterwinners, including all five starters: Caitlin Clark, Monika Czinano, Gabbie Marshall, Kate Martin and McKenna Warnock. Clark was a consensus All-American, Nancy Lieberman Point Guard of the Year, Dawn Staley Guard of the Year, Big Ten Player of the Year, Big Ten Tournament MVP and was a finalist for the Naismith Award, WBCA Wade Trophy and John R. Wooden Award. Czinano was named an Associated Press and WBCA All-America honorable mention, and was a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year semifinalist, while leading the nation in field-goal percentage (.679).
Fans can purchase season tickets ($125), at the UI Athletics Ticket Office at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, over the phone at 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or online at hawkeyesports.com/tickets. Fight For Iowa mobile pass tickets ($199) will go on sale late September. Single game tickets will go on sale in early October.
Tip time and television information will be announced at a later date.
• Iowa will open the regular season with consecutive home games (Southern and Evansville).
• Iowa has a stretch of five straight home contests in December (Iowa State, Minnesota, Northern Iowa, Dartmouth and Purdue).
• Seven of Iowa’s final 10 regular season games are scheduled against teams that finished in the Big Ten upper division a year ago, including twice against Indiana, Maryland and Nebraska, and a single game at Ohio State.
• Iowa has seven weekend home contests (three on Saturdays and four on Sundays) this season, including five against Big Ten opponents. The Hawkeyes have home games inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena on a Saturday or Sunday three of the final four weekends of the regular season.
• The Hawkeyes will play back-to-back conference road games four times.
• Iowa is scheduled to play at Illinois on New Year’s Day. The last time the Hawkeyes played on New Year’s Day was 2006, also in Champaign against the Fighting Illini.
• Iowa is scheduled to play Nebraska-Kearney in an exhibition the evening of Oct. 28.