IOWA CITY, Iowa – The nationally-ranked Iowa women’s basketball team defeated Southern University, 87-34, in its regular season opener on Monday night inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
All-American Caitlin Clark led the Hawkeyes, finishing with a team-high 20 points and nine rebounds in 20 minutes of action. Fifth-year Monika Czinano and freshman Hannah Stuelke both scored 10 points each. All 13 Hawkeyes played and scored.
Iowa got off to a slow start in the first quarter but held the Jaguars to only five points in the second to head into halftime with a, 43-15, lead.
The Hawkeyes settled down in the second half, holding SU to only 18 points. Iowa shot 51.7% from the field and 84% from the charity stripe for the game.
• It was the largest margin of defeat in the series (53). Iowa now leads, 3-0.
• It was tied for the sixth-largest margin of victory in program history.
• Three Hawkeyes netted double figures: Caitlin Clark (20), Monika Czinano (10), and Hannah Stuelke (10).
• Iowa improved to 23-0 under head coach Lisa Bluder in regular season openers.
• Iowa had a huge second quarter, outscoring the Jaguars, 28-5.
• The bench registered 41 points.
• Iowa’s largest lead was 54 points.
• Iowa didn’t allow a single fast-break point.
• The Hawkeyes outrebounded the Lady Jags, 51-22.
• McKenna Warnock finished with the second-most rebounds with eight.
• Addison O’Grady hit her first career 3-pointer.
• Fremont, Nebraska native Taylor McCabe registered nine points.
• Southern never led in the game.
QUOTING P. SUE BECKWITH, MD, HEAD COACH LISA BLUDER
“I think at first it kind of shocked us a little bit, but we got going in the second quarter and outscored them 28 to five. I’m happy with our 86% shooting if you take out the threes, so that was really good. I thought we got some really good bench production tonight. It was the first test, and we know the competition is going to get better. We have to be more prepared for that.”
Make sure to follow Iowa women’s basketball on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (@IowaWBB) for news and updates all season long.
The Hawkeyes return to action Nov. 10, hosting Evansville at 6:31 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Court inside CHA. The game will air on B1G+ (subscription) and on the Hawkeye Radio Network.
Tickets for the 2022-23 season are available now at https://hawkeyesports.com/tickets/wbb/. Any ticket-related questions may be directed to the Iowa Hawkeyes Athletic Ticket Office via email at Tickets@HawkeyeSports.com or by phone at 1-800 IA-HAWKS (1-800-424-2957)