IOWA CITY, Iowa – The second-ranked Iowa women’s basketball team came away with a 113-90, win over the Drake Bulldogs on Sunday night inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Iowa improved to 4-1 on the season.
Graduate Student Kate Martin registered a new career-high 25 points, and All-American Caitlin Clark scored 35 points and tallied a career-high seven steals to lead the team.
The Hawkeyes had a huge first quarter scoring 37 points led by Clark with 11 points and Martin and Molly Davis each with seven. It tied for the third most points in a quarter in program history.
Iowa continued to roll through the second to register a new school record of 64 points in a half, going on a 12-0 run into halftime. Three Hawkeyes scored in double figures through the first half, Clark scored 17 points for the Hawkeyes. Sharon Goodman and Martin each bucketed 11 points.
In the third, Sydney Affolter, Clark, and Martin each shot perfect from the field to contributed to the Hawkeyes’ 25 points quarter.
Iowa carried the momentum into the final 10 minutes, scoring over 20 points in all four quarters. All Hawkeyes saw action in tonight’s game.
– Iowa’s 64 points in the first half broke its program record for the most points in a first half. (vs. Ohio, 1991)
– It was Iowa’s 12th sellout in program history.
– Caitlin Clark recorded her 44th career game 25+ points, 5+ assists, and 5+ rebounds which is in an NCAA-best.
– Over the last 25 seasons, no other player has recorded more 30+ point performances than Clark. (39)
– Clark tied the program record for steals in a quarter with four in the second period.
– Since 2009, only five other players have recorded 35+ points, 5+assists, +5 rebounds, and +5 steals in a single game.
– It was Clark’s 46th career double-double, needs three to crack the Big Ten’s all-time list.
– Kate Martin registered a career-high 25 points shooting 10-of-12 from the floor.
– Clark has netted a 3-point basket in 63 consecutive games which is an NCAA-best.
– It was Molly Davis’ fifth career start as a Hawkeye.
– It was Davis’ fourth game as a Hawkeye with 10+ points.
– Davis eclipsed the 1,600 career points.
– Lisa Bluder is two wins shy of 500 career wins at the University of Iowa.
– Iowa has won six straight against Drake.
– It was the most points Iowa has ever scored against Drake.
– It was the second most points ever scored in program history.
– Iowa scored 37 points in the first quarter which ties third-most in a single quarter in program history.
– Since the start of the 2020-21 season, the Hawkeyes offense has scored 80+ points on 81 occasions which is the most nationally.
– It was Iowa’s 38th game scoring 90+ points which is the most nationally since the 2020-21 season.
QUOTING P. SUE BECKWITH, MD, HEAD COACH LISA BLUDER
“We came out playing Iowa basketball, high assists, low turnovers. I thought our energy level was a lot better out there tonight. We were more focused. We scored the most points in program history in the first half, that was pretty fun. Obviously, we shot the ball pretty well, but I’m was happy with our three-point defense. Drake averages almost 12 threes a game, and we held them to 26% three-point shooting average and they were averaging over 40 percent. I thought that was big for us. Kate Martin had a special game for us and played tonight like she was playing in the summer, and I love to see that. Caitlin has a double-double in 30 minutes of play, and also broke the NCAA record for most 30-point games. I love the fact we forced 22 turnovers tonight as well.”
Make sure to follow Iowa women’s basketball on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (@IowaWBB) for news and updates all season long.
The second ranked Hawkeyes will travel to the Gulf Coast Showcase to take on Purdue-Fort Wayne on Black Friday. Tipoff is set for 6:30 p.m. (CT) inside a Hertz Arena in Estero, Florida. The contest will air on FloHoops (subscription required) and the Hawkeye Radio Network.