The Hawkeye Wave is the best tradition in college sports. When the Kinnick clock hits zero, at the end of the first quarter, 70,000+ football fans turn their attention from the field to UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital. In unison, they wave to the pediatric patients and their families watching the game. The patients and family members view this genuine act of kindness as life-changing, inspiring…a wave of hope.
As this tradition, born in 2017, etches itself in Hawkeye lore, the University of Iowa and the UI Department of Intercollegiate Athletics want to enhance and evolve the moment. Starting in 2022, a new song will accompany the Hawkeye Wave. The search will begin in June, and the university and the athletics department want fans to have a voice in selecting the next Hawkeye Wave song.
The University of Iowa is asking the public to engage and nominate candidates for the next wave song.
- Announcement and information to submit nominations
- Announce the top eight nominations; open fan voting for the final four
- Announce the final four as voted by fans; open fan voting for the final two
- Announce the final 2 as voted by fans
- Announce the new Hawkeye Wave song