Feb. 10, 2006
IOWA CITY, IA — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team hosted Cleveland State Friday at the University Recreational Building. The Hawkeyes won the meet 7-0.
The Hawkeyes began the night by sweeping doubles competition. The first match featured senior Brett Taylor and sophomore J.P. Ritchie playing against Jay Tee and Olivier Dhaine. Iowa won this No. 1 match, 8-7. In the No. 2 match, senior Chaitu Malempati and sophomore Bart van Monsjou defeated Rob West and Dan Singer, 8-0. To finish doubles competition, senior Aaron Schaechterle teamed with freshman Christian Bierich to defeat Brad Groleski and Steven Wipprecht, 8-2.
Iowa also dominated singles competition. In the No. 1 match, Bierich defeated West, 6-0, 7-5. Ritchie played in the No. 2 match and defeated Dhaine, 6-7 (2), 6-1. 10-4. Malempati faced Tee in the No. 3 match and defeated him, 6-0, 6-0. In the No. 4 match, Taylor defeated Singer, 6-0, 6-4. In the No. 5 match, freshman Zach Frisch defeated Groleski, 6-1. 6-4. Schaechterle finished up singles competition for the Hawkeyes by defeating Wipprecht, 7-6 (5), 6-2.
“We played very well tonight,” said University of Iowa Head Tennis Coach Steve Houghton. “We took a big step forward and made significant improvements.”
With this win, the Hawkeyes improve to 2-1. They host Wisconsin-Green Bay on Sunday. Competition will begin at 9 a.m. at the University Recreational Building.
Cleveland State 0
1. Christian Bierich (IOWA) def. Rob West (CSU) 6-0, 7-5
2. J.P. Ritchie (IOWA) def. Oliver Dhaine (CSU) 6-7 (2), 6-1, 10-4
3. Chaitu Malempati (IOWA) def. Jay Tee (CSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Brett Taylor (IOWA) def. Dan Singer (CSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Zach Frisch (IOWA) def. Brad Groleski (CSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Aaron Schaechterle (IOWA) def. Steven Wipprecht (CSU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
1. Ritchie/Taylor (IOWA) def. Jay Tee/Oliver Dhaine (CSU) 8-7
2. van Monsjou/Malempati (IOWA) def. Dan Singer/Rob West (CSU) 8-0
3. Schaechterle/ Bierich (IOWA) def. Brad Groleski/Steven Wipprecht (CSU) 8-2