Feb. 4, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Illinois State (1-2), 7-0, in its season opener Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes (1-0) improved to 9-0 all-time against the Redbirds.
“This is a good start to the season,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We did a lot of things well that we’ve been stressing in practice. We’re looking forward to two more home matches next weekend”
The Hawkeyes swept the doubles point to earn the first point of the match. Senior Sonja Molnar and freshman Shelby Talcott teamed at the top spot to win an 8-2 decision against Aniko Kiss and Phyllis Tigges. Molnar and Talcott posted a 6-1 record when paired this fall. Freshmen Ellen Silver and Katie Zordani played at the No. 3 position, defeating Hannah Esker and Hannah Nisbet, 8-3. Silver and Zordani went 1-2 during the fall. Senior Ally Majercik and freshman Morven McCulloch completed the sweep with an 8-3 win versus Ariane Maack and Emmie Marx. It was the first time this season Majercik and McCulloch were matched together. Iowa has won 18 consecutive matches in which they have claimed all three doubles matches.
Dougherty’s singles line-up featured four freshmen. All four newcomers posted straight-set wins in their dual debuts. Talcott beat Tigges, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 2 spot. McCulloch, playing at the No. 3 position, earned a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Marx. Silver dropped Stefanie Youngberg at the No. 5 position, 6-1, 6-2. Zordani defeated Esker, 6-4, 6-1 at the No 6 spot.
Molnar and sophomore Christina Harazin also recorded straight-set victories. Molnar, ranked No. 91 by the ITA, won a 6-1, 6-1 decision against Kiss at the top spot. Kiss entered the match with an 11-1 record. Harazin won 6-4, 6-4 against Carolina Abello while playing at the No. 4 position.
The Hawkeyes return to the HTRC next weekend to host two matches. Iowa will face Illinois Chicago on Friday, Feb. 10 at 5 p.m. (CT) before playing in-state rival Iowa State on Sunday, Feb. 12 at noon (CT). Sunday’s match against the Cyclones will be Campus Kids’ Day. Kids in attendance will receive prizes and pizza.
1. #91 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Aniko Kiss (ILS) 6-1, 6-1
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Phyllis Tigges (ILS) 6-1, 6-1
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Emmie Marx (ILS) 6-4, 6-1
4. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Carolina Abello (ILS) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ellen Silver (IOWA) def. Stefanie Youngberg (ILS) 6-1, 6-2
6. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Hannah Esker (ILS) 6-4, 6-1
1. Sonja Molnar/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Aniko Kiss/Phyllis Tigges (ILS) 8-2
2. Ally Majercik/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Emmie Marx/Ariane Maack (ILS) 8-3
3. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Hannah Esker/Heather Nisbet (ILS) 8-3