The eighth-ranked University of Iowa men’s gymnastics team celebrates Senior Day and hosts No. 4 Nebraska on Saturday at 3 p.m. (CT) inside the Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The meet will be televised live on BTN.
- Saturday’s meet will be broadcast on BTN. Joel Godett and Stacey Ervin, Jr., will be on the call.
- Fans can follow along via live results at hawkeyesports.com.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- This will be the final home meet of the Iowa men’s gymnastics program.
- The Hawkeyes will recoginize seniors Bennet Huang, Kulani Taylor, and Addison Chung following the meet.
- Last week, Huang won the all-around title against Ohio State, Stewart Brown took the floor title, and Noah Scigliano won on the horizontal bar.
- Iowa is ranked No. 8 in the country in the Road to Nationals rankings. Iowa ranks sixth nationally on vault, seventh on parallel bars, and eighth on pommelhorse, rings, and horizontal bar, and ninth on floor.
- Huang was named one of 11 finalists for the Nissen-Emory Award. The award is college gymastics’ highest honor, presented annually to that year’s outstanding senior college gymnast.
- Twice this year a Hawkeye has been named Big Ten Gymnast of the Week. Huang earned that distinction on Feb. 1, and junior Evan Davis held that title on Feb. 13.
- Iowa’s team captains for the 2021 season are Bennet Huang, Evan Davis, and Peyton Hobson.
- The 2021 season will be the final season for the Iowa men’s gymnastics program. It was announced in August that the program would be discontinued because of the financial implications of the global coronavirus pandemic.
AA X 3
Senior Bennet Huang and junior Evan Davis both rank in the top 10 nationally in the all-around. Huang ranks fifth with an 81.500 national qualifying average, while Davis is ninth with a 80.850 NQA. Stewart Brown is 12th with a NQA of 78.583.
IN THE NCAA RANKINGS
Carter Tope- 8th – Parallel Bars – 13.833
Bennet Huang – T-9th – Floor – 14.283
Bennet Huang – T-14th – Pommel – 13.667
Peyton Hobson – 15th – Still Rings – 13.583
Evan Davis – T-16th – Still Rings – 13.567
Stewart Brown – 18th – Parallel Bars – 13.650
Evan Davis – 19th – High Bar – 13.367
Stewart Brown – T-20th – Vault – 14.467
Amari Sewell – T-20th – Vault – 14.467
- Iowa gymnastics took the title in two events (floor and horizontal bar) and the all-around in the loss in Columbus on March 13.
- Junior Stewart Brown took the title on floor, posting a career high of 14.350 and added a career high in all-around of 79.100. He also added a season best on pommel of 12.250.
- In addition to Bennet Huang winning the all-around (81.100), he bested his career high on the parallel bars with a 13.700 and broke his rings season best.
- Senior Addison Chung put up a season high of 12.500 on the pommelhorse.
- For the second week in a row, senior Kulani Taylor posted a new season high on floor; it currently sits at 14.000.
ZAC TIDERMAN INJURY
Freshman Zac Tiderman’s season has come to an end after having a procedure to repair his meniscus. He was injured during warmups prior to the Hawkeyes’ home opener against No. 4 Illinois.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
Fans can follow the Iowa men’s gymnastics program on social media on Instagram (@iowamgym) with live updates on Twitter (@mensgymiowa) and via Facebook (iowamensgymnastics).
The Hawkeyes will head to Lincoln, Nebraska, on Saturday, April 3, to compete in the Big Ten Championships inside Pinnacle Bank Arena at 7 p.m. (CT).