BOULDER, CO– The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell, 4-1, to the University of Colorado on Sunday afternoon at the Rocky Mountain Tennis Center.
Iowa put up a fight in doubles but came up short of the point in a tiebreak set over Colorado. Senior Michelle Bacalla and sophomore Barboro Pokorna were the first court to finish capturing a win on court three, 6-3. Senior Samantha Mannix and sophomore Vipasha Mehra put up a fight on court three but fell in the tiebreaking set, 6-7, 6-8.
Freshman Marisa Schmidt secured the point on court one against Colorado’s Caroline Pozo in three sets. She won the first set 6-4 and battled back from a second set loss (3-6) winning her third set 6-1.
Mannix battled in three sets against Colorado’s Antonia Balzert. She secured the first set 6-3, however fell in a close third set, 5-7.
Mehra was up in her second set against opponent Mila Stanojevic 4-2 before their match was called.
No. T71 Iowa heads to Manhattan, KS on Friday, March 7th to face the Wildcats of No. T71 Kanas State. The match is scheduled to set at 12 p.m. (CT) at Mike Goss Tennis Stadium. Fans can follow along via live stats https://bit.ly/3hqauqK.
Colorado 4, Iowa 0
1. Schmidt (UI) def. Pozo (CU): 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
2. Balzert (CU) def. Mannix (UI): 6-4, 3-6, 5-7
3. Campos (CU) def. Bacalla (UI): 6-3, 6-0
4. Forster (CU) def. Gillas (UI): 6-3, 6-0
5. Mehra (UI) vs. Stanojevic (CU): 5-7, 4-2, Unfinished
6. Pokorna (UI) vs. Tokac (CU): 3-6, 1-2, Unfinished
1. Pozo/Campos (CU) def. Mannix/Mehra (UI): 7-6, 8-6
2. Balzert/Stanojevic (CU) def. Gillas/Schmidt (UI): 6-4
3. Pokorna /Bacalla (UI) def. Forster/Ecton (CU): 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,1,2,4)