Bloomington, Indiana – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was edged by Indiana, 4-3, on Saturday afternoon at the IU Tennis Center.
Freshman Barbora Pokorna and senior Michelle Bacalla won their doubles match on court three, defeating Lexi Kubas/Rose Hu, 6-2. Indiana (8-8, 1-2) captured wins on courts one and three to secure the doubles point.
The Hoosiers took the first two points in singles competition as senior Samantha Mannix fell to Lara Schneider, 6-3, 6-1, and Bacalla lost in straight sets against Alex Staiculescu, 6-4, 6-2.
Iowa (4-10, 0-3) answered with wins on courts four and six to bring the score to 3-2. Pokorna defeated Mila Mejic in straight sets on court four, 7-5, 6-3. Sophomore Vipasha Mehra added to the rally by topping Sayda Hernandez in three sets, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.
Senior Samantha Gillas fell to Rose Hu on court five, 7-6, 6-3, to allow Indiana to secure the victory.
Freshman Marisa Schmidt bounced Laura Masic, 7-6, 6-1, on at No. 1 to close out the day with a win for the Hawkeyes.
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH SASHA SCHMID
“Tough loss on the road today. We need to get ready for another test at Purdue tomorrow.”
The Hawkeyes travel to West Lafayette, Indiana tomorrow to face No. 65 Purdue. The match is set to start at noon (CT) at the Schwartz Tennis Center.
Indiana 4, Iowa 3
1. Marisa Schmidt (IOWA) def. Laura Masic (IND): 7-6, 6-1
2. Lara Schneider (IND) def. Samantha Mannix (IOWA): 6-3, 6-1
3. Alex Staiculescu (IND) def. Michelle Bacalla (IOWA): 6-4, 6-2
4. Babora Pokorna (IOWA) def. Mila Mejic (IND):7-5, 6-3
5. Rose Hu (IND) def. Samantha Gillas (IOWA): 7-6, 6-3
6. Vipasha Mehra (IOWA) def. Sayda Hernandez (IND): 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
1. Masic/Schneider (IND) def. Mannix/Mehra (UI): 6-1
2. Staiculescu/Mejic (IND) def. Gillas/Schmidt (UI): 6-3
3. Bacalla/Pokorna (UI) def. Kubas/Hu (IND): 6-2
Order of Finish: Singles (2,3,4,6,5,1) Doubles (1,3,2)