IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa senior quarterback Cade McNamara has been named to the 2023 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award watch list. The award is presented annually to the top senior or upperclassman quarterback set to graduate with their class.
McNamara completed 210-of-327 passes for 2,576 yards and 15 touchdowns as a junior. A three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree, McNamara appeared in four games as a sophomore in 2020, completing 43-of-71 pass attempts for 425 yards with five touchdowns and zero interceptions.
The award is named after quarterback Johnny Unitas, who was nicknamed “The Golden Arm” for his record-setting play for the Baltimore Colts in the NFL. Former Hawkeye Nate Stanley was a finalist for the award in 2019.
The 2023 award winner will be presented the Golden Arm Award trophy by The Johnny Unitas Educational Foundation President, John Unitas, Jr., as well as other notable attendees at the Golden Arm Award banquet and celebration at the Four Seasons Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland on Thursday, December 7, 2023.
McNamara and the Hawkeyes open their season on Sept. 2 against Utah State. The sold-out game is set for an 11:03 a.m. (CT) kickoff.
HAWKEYES ON 2023 WATCH LISTS
* Erick All – John Mackey Award (TE) // Comeback Player of the Year Award
* Cooper DeJean – Bronko Nagurski Trophy (D-POY) // Chuck Bednarik Award (D-POY) // Jim Thorpe Award (DB) // Paul Hornung Award (versatility)
* Jermari Harris – Comeback Player of the Year Award
* Nick Jackson — Dick Butkus Award (LB) // Lombardi Award (Most Outstanding DL/OL)
* Kaleb Johnson – Doak Walker Award (RB)
* Logan Jones – Rimington Trophy (C)
* Luke Lachey – John Mackey Award (TE)
* Cade McNamara – Maxwell Award (POY)// Johnny Unitas Award (QB) // Comeback Player of the Year Award
* Drew Stevens – Lou Groza Award (PK)
* Tory Taylor – Ray Guy Award (P)